Crisp Chicken Schnitzel with Lemony Spring Herb Salad
Acccentuated by a pinch of cayenne, a dash of nutmeg and a squeeze of lemon, this succulent chicken breast is thinly veiled by a crispy, light crust.
Cook Time: 25 minutes
6 anchovy fillets
1 small garlic clove
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
7 to 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
2 eggs, beaten
1½ cups panko or other unseasoned bread crumbs
½ cup flour
⅛ teaspoon cayenne
⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1¼ pounds chicken cutlets, pounded to ⅛-inch thick
Safflower, peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
2 quarts mixed baby greens
2 cups soft herb leaves, like a combination of mint, tarragon, basil, parsley, cilantro, chervil, chives (try to use at least 3 kinds)
1 scallion, thinly sliced, including greens
1. Mince anchovies and garlic and mix with a large pinch of salt until you get a rough paste. Put it in bowl and whisk in the lemon zest, juice and another pinch of salt and some pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
2. Place eggs in one shallow dish, bread crumbs in another, and flour mixed with cayenne and nutmeg in a third. Season chicken cutlets generously with salt and pepper.
3. Heat ⅛ inch oil in a large skillet. While oil heats, dip cutlets one by one into flour (shake off any excess), then into eggs (ditto) and finally into the bread crumbs, taking care not to handle chicken more than necessary (hold meat by ends).
4. When oil sizzles when a pinch of bread crumbs is thrown in, add a chicken cutlet (or two if your skillet is large, leave plenty of room around them). Swirl pan so oil cascades over top of cutlet in waves. When bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes, flip and brown the other side, swirling pan (swirling helps create air pockets, giving you lighter schnitzel). Transfer to a paper-towellined baking platter or baking tray and sprinkle with more salt. Repeat with remaining chicken.
5. Toss salad greens and herbs with just enough anchovy-lemon dressing to lightly coat them. Divide salad on serving plates and top with schnitzel. Drizzle with more dressing and garnish with scallions.