First and foremost, we are a group of people who love wine and everything about it. We also know that the savvy readers of The New York Times deserve access to some of the best and most unique wines out there that express a range of varietals and terroir.
This is why we make it our mission to find not only great tasting wines, but also wines from respected wineries that represent the regions from which they come. And every one of these wines has a story worth telling – stories that truly enhance the experience of enjoying them with family and friends.
Our team is comprised of seasoned wine professionals, including certified sommeliers and devoted staff members who have spent the bulk of their careers in the wine industry.Every wine has a story. Start your story with us. >>
How does The New York Times Wine Club select the wine for its club shipments?
Our stellar wine professionals taste through thousands of wines from all over the world. Using a proprietary evaluation process, the team must reach a consensus on whether a wine is deemed fit for the club. Each wine is passionately debated and judged for its typicity, balance and value, among other factors, ensuring that you receive only the very best wine available.
Here are some quick stats about our wine selection process:
- Thousands of wines are tasted, and only one bottle in fifty is selected for our club. Yes, we’re that picky.
- Our wine-buying team travels to international wine fairs in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, South America and beyond to source the best wine from more than 13 countries.
- Many of the wines in our shipments are exclusive to The New York Times Wine Club and cannot be purchased anywhere else, giving our members insider access to hard-to-find wines.
There are plenty of wine clubs out there, all claiming to have the best selection of wines. What differentiates The New York Times Wine Club from the others?
- We only send you great wine. Our wine team tastes the good, the bad and the ugly so you don’t have to. We send you the very best of what we sniff and sip.
- We work with the best in the business. We partner with top winemakers that are truly passionate about their craft. It’s these relationships that allow us to deliver to you the best of the best, at an incredible value.
- Most of our wines cannot be found on store shelves. Many of the wines are brought into the United States exclusively for The New York Times Wine Club members and cannot be found anywhere else.
- We take the time to educate and inform. Wine can be daunting, but we give you the tools to become an expert in tasting, pairing and entertaining.
- Our wines are not just chosen based on scores or awards. We select wines based on their deliciousness, how well they pair with food, and how well they represent their grape variety or region.
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed. We’re so confident you’ll love our wine club that we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If there’s ever a wine that doesn’t please your palate, just let us know, and we’ll make it right. Plus, you can update or cancel your membership at any time.