- 1 ½teaspoons butter
- 1 ½teaspoons olive oil
- 13-pound fryer chicken, butterflied
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3sprigs tarragon plus 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- In a large iron frying pan or sauté pan, melt butter in oil over medium high heat. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper. Spread tarragon sprigs in pan, then lay chicken in skin-side down. Weigh down chicken with a brick covered in foil or a soup pot filled with food cans. Fry until well browned, about 20 minutes, adjusting heat so that it does not burn or stew. Turn chicken, discarding tarragon, replace brick and fry other side, until chicken is cooked through, about another 15 minutes.
- Cut chicken into pieces and serve on a platter, sprinkled with chopped tarragon and more pepper.