- 1cup dark (red) miso
- 1tablespoon minced ginger
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- ½teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- Mirin, sake or white wine as needed
- 1 ½ to 2pounds 1-inch thick medallions of lamb, cut from the boneless rack or tenderloin
- Combine miso, ginger, garlic and cayenne in a large bowl, then thin with a little mirin or sake, just until mixture is pasty. Spread meat with this paste, then proceed, or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Start a charcoal fire or gas grill, or preheat broiler or oven; rack should be 4 inches or less from heat source. Grill, broil or roast meat, about 4 minutes a side, until outside is crisp and inside medium-rare. Serve immediately.